Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sweet Potato Pita - Gluten Free

I woke up this morning with energy to burn... that is a rare event when you have a toddler. So, I decided to make good use of it and bake up something in the bread department that might be used for school lunches, and dinner tonight. Like always, I turned to my fellow bloggers for inspiration. This day I happened upon a gal all the way from the UK. ... she had several wondeful recipes for pita's that really struck me. First off, let me say to those of you that are new to the gluten free world. It's not unusual for most of your baked items to be more "white flour-ish" less "whole grain-ish" than I prefer. I am going for the baked items to be a healthy alternative to the whole wheat we can no longer eat. So, when I saw this recipe.. all those different whole grains & the sweet potato really jumped out at me. The one problem... converting the ounces by weight into standard cup measurements.. basically something I wouldn't need a scale to make. Luckily I had one of those scales that I use for soap making.. so I got busy.. I think that they turned out to be fantastic. The sweet potato really adds to the subtle sweetness of the pita, and luckily all of mine popped up in the oven just like normal pitas would . We have already begun feasting on them, as they made a great "home from school snack" stuffed with almond butter & bananas. As for tonight, they are going to be stuffed with Ginger Lime Chicken Salad. Thanks go out to http://www.milkforthemorningcake.blogspot.com/ for her creativity.

Sweet Potato Pitas

1 1/3 cup sorghum flour
1/3 cup teff flour (she listed millet, but I substituted)
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast (possibly more for a bigger rise next time)
1 tsp honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1 organic egg
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup roasted sweet potato, skin removed

Mix dry ingredients first, then add in the wet. Leave for 5 minutes in the bowl while you ready the area for rolling out the dough. I used saran wrap & a little rice flour to coat each "egg sized" ball before rolling it out into an oval shape about the size of my hand. I left on the silpat lined baking sheets for about 30 minutes, as I prepared the rest. Preheated the oven to 390 degrees, and sprayed them down with a spritz of water & a sprinkle of seeds before popping them into the oven for 10 minutes. I rotated the pans about half way through. Removed from oven, cooled, sliced & used a knife to pry them open in the places where the bubbles didn't form.

4 comments:

Katrina said...

These look awesome! Did you temper the yeast first or just add it in with the dry ingredients?

SaDonna said...

Hi Katrina. I "think" I remember adding it in with the dry ingredients. They were actually quite simple to make... not so with a lot of gluten free yeast goods. Having three kiddos to run after makes me appreciate simplicity, yet they were very moist and almost sweet with the addition of the sweet potatoes. Good luck.

Marlow said...

These look so GOOD!! Can't wait to make them!

Rene' (Dust-N-Ruffles) said...

Love this.. I am a former Coulee City girl and mutual friend Lynette Syth sent me to your blog. I am just starting the Paloe Diet... no grains, etc.. so this will be another fun resource.

Website Content and Copy: BasilandTime.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.