Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Homemade Bumble Bars


It has most definitely been "a while" since my last post. House building and kid raising will do that to a gal. I have noticed lately though that in my attempt to be a "super mom", I have had to resort to buying pre-packaged "health food" snacks for my kid's lunch boxes, such as Lara bars, Bumble bars, Clif kid bars, etc... instead of finding the time to make my own. Nothing wrong with those choices for sure, but over time they do take a toll on the ole' pocket book. My son's favorite treat are the bumble bars, so I decided to stop off at my favorite whole foods bulk aisle and give these a try. I rounded up bags of raw sesame seeds, golden flaxseeds and the like and this morning I dug in. When I tried these out on the kids later on the "Thanks soooooo much mom!" "These are soooooo good!" was all the praise I needed. *I did come up with the recipe below and then wondered if perhaps someone else had tried the same thing and found a post here that was a bit different than mine, but looked just as tasty! Enjoy!

Homemade Bumble Bars -

1/4 cup crushed slivered almonds
1 cup raw sesame seeds
1/4 cup golden flaxseeds
3 TBSP brown rice syrup
3 TBSP agave syrup
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract.

After mixing all of this, it will most definitely be sticky and messy. Press it into an Pam sprayed square baking dish and cook in the oven at 170 degrees for about 2 hours. When you pull it out, it will still feel soft, but will firm up upon cooling. I almost think they were a bit too crunchy for me, but I may have kept them in longer than two hours and not realized it. You will all have to play with the times a bit depending on whether you want them chewier or crunchier. Either way though, they were a very close substitute to the same bar I pay over a dollar each for!
*The hubby thought they were a little crunchier than the bars you buy. So I would say maybe cut down on cooking time and pull them out after 1 1/2 hours and see what you get.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Oh my gosh, Yummm, great recipe! Just thought you should know that Kinnikinnick has an article on their blog about food and non-food products which have gluten "hidden" within them – like soy sauce and sun screen! Some good food for thought… http://blog.kinnikinnick.com/. Thanks, Shelley | Kinnikinnick Foods

Website Content and Copy: BasilandTime.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.