Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes ... with a healthy twist!


I have been STARING at the slow decomposition of 2 avocados in my fridge for almost a week now. Leave it to Costco to give me like a dozen of the best darn avocados out there, then I have to figure out what to do with them before they go bad. We can enjoy a good bowl of guacamole around here the same as the next family... but every night, for two weeks? Not so much.... so THEY. SAT. THERE .... staring back at me. Crying for me to figure SOMETHING out that would make the kids beg for more. Well, little did I know this is a common dilemma among health foodie bloggers, as I was able to find the perfect Avocado Icing from Straight into Bed Cakefree & Dried to go on top of my Chickpea Cupcakes... yes... I said it.... Avocados & Chickpeas for DESSERT!!

Please, before you turn to the next blog in your reader, hear me out. This stuff is tasty, no joke. I went into it challenging myself to make the cupcake equally as healthy as the icing, and while perusing my cabinets found a can of chickpeas. "Why not?" I asked myself. So go ahead, give these to the kids for breakfast if you must.... indulge in them yourself... it's health food people!

Yummy Chickpea Cupcakes with Avocado Icing -

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place muffin liners in muffin pans and get out your food processor.

3 eggs
4 oz semi sweet chocolate baking bar, melted in microwave
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, washed & drained.
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 c brown rice flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp instant coffee
1/2 cup olive oil
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla

Process the chickpeas in the food processor, then add in the eggs and process a bit more. Add in the remaining ingredients and process again. Use a 1/3 cup scoop to fill each muffin liner (total of 12). Bake in the oven for 20-23 minutes, remove & cool.

Avocado Icing -

2 ripe avocados (you know the ones.... staring at you from the fridge)
1/2 cup honey
4 TBSP cocoa powder
1 tsp instant coffee

Blend in the food processor (wash it first from the batter you just did in it) until it is smooth and creamy and has no grains of avocado left... after all, you wouldn't want to give it away.

Although my kids were rapt with curiosity as I was doing all of this, eager to have a sample or two. They thought the icing tasted GREAT! When spread on the Chickpea Cupcakes ... even better!!



2 comments:

Fuat Gencal said...

Çok leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor.
Ellerinize sağlık.

Saygılar.

SaDonna said...

Thank you. Yes, I do enjoy eating healthy foods and appreciate being able to "sneak" some into their desserts on occasion.

Website Content and Copy: BasilandTime.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.